Name:
Location: Nowhere special, the Deep South, United States

Middle-aged professor...strikingly agnostic and adamantly opposed to literalist fundamentalist religions in ANY government, and most other things hated by the those currently in power in Washington.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Day 2.

Now I wasn't the first in line for the new Harry Potter book, nor did I join the frenzied droves waiting in line at all, but alas, I could not withstand the urge to buy a copy of the new book in the mail. When my pre-ordered copy didn't seem to arrive with the regular mail today, I had an attack. Being that a weekend is my only time to spend doing other non-academic stuff, I couldn't wait...and off I went to the local Target (er.."discount store") to buy a copy to read. Three hours later, a large venti coffee from a local outlet of a "Northwest Coast Global coffee dominator," I was somewhere in chapter eight. Of course when I got home, my "deluxe edition" had arrived.

People ask me why as an academic I enjoy the HP phenomenon, collect wizards, name my animals after them, and even my wireless routers. First of all, as I am into the study of shamanism(s), the development of modern literature based on the historical development of witchcraft and sorcery in oral myth and legend is interesting to me. Many of the ideas found in these contemporary stories and neo-pagan movements really draw back to the shamanistic practices of indigenous peoples that are hundreds, if not thousands, of years old. I think one of my next projects will be to do an article on the connection between the HP books, modern fascination with them, and the "magic" that lies in indigenous shamanism. Now to find out who beat me to the state license plate inscribed with "Dumbledore" on it in the campus parking lot. I find it ironic that the shamans I work with use wands. Usually for healing practices and honoring native deities, but they are present nonetheless. Likewise, there are good and evil shamans in the culture(s) I research. And to boot, one must be "gifted" (chosen) by the gods to enter apprenticeship as a shaman. Sounds an awful lot like Potter's years of training to me. There are visions, prophecies, and spells as well. People tend to forget that all "religions" are based on some sort of "syncretism" (blending) of religious practices of the past. New ideas are continually adopted into the religious practices of a people to meet additional needs in the dynamic world that is culture.

I saw a documentary the other night on "John of God" (ABC News Primetime Live). It covered the unorthodoxed healing practices of a "faith healer" from Brazil. Here are some links provided for more information on him:

http://www.johnofgod.com
http://www.visionthang.tv
http://www.friendsofthecasa.org
http://www.activeingredients.com/ames

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home